I want this blog to INSPIRE your CREATIVE side as we EXPLORE our PASSION together!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

CJ Too Design Team - Home Decor Scarecrow Wall Hanging




This was my first entry for Design Team 2 for Tracy at www.craftjunkietoo.com!!! I am so excited to be part of her design team and I am a little happy I was up second, so I had more time to work one something totally different than anything I have made before. I decided to try my hand at a home decor item. In the past all I have done is quilled artwork for framing, but I wanted something totally different.

I decided on a wall hanging for fall...and what cuter to use than the scarecrow from Simply Charmed. To get started I made my thick base. I used 6 layers of kraft card stock and then sandwiched that between two cereal box cardboard pieces. I had all that adhered together and then covered it with this creamy shimmery paper. That took quite a bit of ATG and a little time to get it where I was happy with it.

Then I added the brown layers and wrapped them behind. I had this adorable ribbon which I picked up last winter, and decided that would look really pretty going across the top and bottom. Next came the braiding cord and I used a technique I have seen Momo do...I tied it off through the orange button...Love it. I am so glad I added this cord because I think it really makes it look more fall and festive.

Next I made my adorable scarecrow. I used real buttons for his overalls because I thought it was cuter than the black dots. I did some doodling on him to make him look better too. Then I added braiding cord and tied it through the yellow button for his hat and I LOVE how that turned out. So stinking cute. He just puts a smile on my face, not scary at all.

And the last part is the binder clip I used for hanging this. It's just a tiny one, I covered it in brown paper. Because the wall hanging is so thick it fits nicely onto it, and won't slip off. I added the sunflower over the front metal part so you won't see it, and chose that because the ribbon has scarecrow heads and sunflowers so I thought it was perfect. The back metal part is actually what will be hung onto your nail or hook! It really is perfect for the hanging part of this.

I am not sure what I am doing with this little guy yet but I sure do love how this turned out. I was so honored to be part of Tracy's design team that I wanted to challenge myself into doing something new. All in all this took me about 2 hours. There is a very good chance I am gifting this one!

8 comments:

Amanda Villarreal said...

Omg I love this so much! I thought this was canvas until I read you used cereal boxes. I will probably add this to my favorites list. So very cute. :)

mum of two said...

Simply adorable!! TFS :)

michelle

Helen said...

This is so cute!! I love that the ribbon matches the scarecrow! I really need to get Simply Charmed :)

Crafting Katie said...

This is so darn cute! I just love that cheery scarecrow!

Tracy said...

Oh Christina - this little fella is soooo stinkin' cute and adorable. I just LOVE your project. Thanks for being such an awesome part of my DT. :)

♥Tracy

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Great project! Love the colors!

4kids4 said...

I just love this...the scarecrow is one of my favorite images (at the moment!!) from Simply Charmed...and you made him look soooo cute! TFS!

Sharon said...

Awesome! Just awesome!!! I love it! :)

>